The Teaching Artist Program provides the opportunity for students to experience a broad range of arts activities in the classroom. Working in partnership with the Lafayette Parish School System as well as St. Landry Parish Public Schools, the program places artists directly into the classroom. Each session is designed and led by the teaching artists.
What is a Teaching Artist?
Teaching Artists are “artist-educators,” experienced in translating their creative processes within instructional settings. Eric Booth, a nationally-recognized author and teaching artist developed the following definition: “A teaching artist is a practicing professional artist with the complementary skills and sensibilities of an educator, who engages people in learning experiences in, through and about the arts.” Teaching artists represent all disciplines including dance, literary arts, media arts, music, storytelling, theatre, visual arts and folk/traditional arts.
The AcA’s Teaching Artist Roster is made up of local, practicing artists who are interested in sharing their teaching artistry across generations. We believe that the field of teaching artistry is vital to arts education and lifelong learning. Once approved for the roster, teaching artists are eligible to work in a variety of arts-in-education programs.
– Teaching Artist Program: TAP provides the opportunity for students to experience an art form hands-on, directly in their classroom. (Available in Lafayette and St. Landry Parish public schools)
– Arts Grants for Teachers: The purpose of this grant program is to encourage teachers to design and develop artistically creative and innovative projects involving the visual and performing arts. Teaching Artists are often included in these grants. (Available in Lafayette Parish public schools)
– PACE (Primary Academic Creative Experiences) places teaching artists in preK-3rd grade classrooms in Lafayette Parish public schools to provide students with experiences in visual and performing arts through weekly lessons that integrate the arts into the school curriculum. (Available in Lafayette Parish public schools)
– Summer Camps at AcA: Summer art camps offer creative, challenging and fun hands-on arts experiences for children. We believe in an approach to teaching and learning that employ stimulating ideas like inquiry and self-expression.
– The AcA has additional opportunities throughout the year, based on current projects and grant programs.